Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Berichten

Berichten uit augustus 8, 2012 weergeven

Summertime at the Leopold Park in Brussels,Belgium.

Photography by Tzina Alimpoutaki-Joustra.

                                                               The Leopold Park.

             The Leopold Park which is located at the back side of the European Parliament in Brussels.


Adjacent to the Paul-Henri-Spaak Building which is used for the seating of the European Parliament, the Leopold Park or Leopoldspark in Dutch was opened to the public in 1880.
The plans for the Zoological Garden of Brussels,created in 1851 and also included a horticultural section in the upper end of the park. Its management entrusted to Jean Linden ( Luxembourg 1817-Brussels 1898) a botanist- explorer, acknowledged as an important expert in orchids. In 1877 he opened the Horticulture Internationale, a nursery in the Leopold Park.

The 10 hectare( 25 acre) Leopold park during the following years was left without the Company Horticole de Linden which was wound up in 1908 and his son and successor moved to Chent.

                          The back side of the Euro…